“When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that last blow that did it – but all that had gone before.”
– James Clear, Atomic Habits
It’s no wonder Robi took out the Fitness Playground Surry Hills Rookie of the Year title. As well as being a highly knowledgeable Personal Trainer, this Exercise and Sport Scientist brings his fun vibes to every session.
Exercise and sport scientist Robi McDonald is Fitness Playground Surry Hills’ Rookie of the Year for 2021, and all-round vibe king.
After rehabilitating from knee surgery, Robi turned his sights to health and fitness, starting an Exercise and Sport Science degree and completing his Fitness Certs, spending time as a group fitness instructor (he won’t tell you where) before finally making his way to becoming a Personal Trainer at Fitness Playground.
Robi loves to get people moving, fixing injuries, achieving results and doing it all with a cheeky grin on his face. Get ready for big lifts, a polished arms routine, a slog on the sled, or even gear up for some endurance training.
- Conditioning & Endurance
- Injury Rehabilitation
- Mindset & Habit Change
My philosophy is that training should be sustainable, goal-oriented and educational. That means, any changes or actions taken should be able to be maintained in some way in the long-term; setting yourself a goal and working towards it is more likely to deliver results; and if I can teach you enough to succeed without me, I have been successful.
education, experience & achievements
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise and Sport Science)
- Certificates III & IV in Fitness
- Certified Rugby and AFL Coach
- Experience as a Strength and Conditioning Coach with Semi-Professional Rugby Teams
- Athletic Background with Club-Level Rugby Union, AFL, Cricket and Rowing Experience
3 fun facts
- My other job is working for Australian swimwear brand Budgy Smuggler, I work at events including Rugby matches and pop-up shops (including in the UK). Recently I went onto the pitch at half-time at a Waratahs game to shoot free pairs into the crowd, and I own over 40 pairs.
- I was once offered a job by a topless waitress… to be a topless waiter!
- I am preparing to make my triathlon debut, at the Cairns Half Ironman, tackling a 110km race.
WATCH THEIR STORY
See what their clients have to say.
PT Client Reviews
“I have always been relatively fit and like to exercise but last year I got a running injury that meant that I really needed to do some strength work.
My physiotherapist gave me great exercises, but I was next to useless doing them on my own, so I decided to get a Personal Trainer. Boy did I get lucky with Robi! He completely understood my injury, what was needed to repair, what was required to minimise the risk of the injury reoccurring and what other areas of strength I needed to work on.
I am now back running again, feel stronger all over than I’ve ever felt (amazing for someone who has just turned 50) and keen to continue working on strength for the long term. Robi is attentive, reliable, personable, interesting and just an all-round top bloke who deserves to have a fantastic career ahead of him.I feel very lucky to have him as my Personal Trainer.”
“I started training with Robi during lockdown – I knew I needed to keep active for my mental and physical health, but it was proving difficult without accountability. Especially when you feel demotivated thinking about how much fitness you’ve lost. Robi is encouraging and supportive as a Personal Trainer, which really helps me show up to training even when I have a bad day or after I fall off routine. I always feel happy, engaged and like I’m progressing during our sessions.”
“I have been coached by Robi for 6 months and the regular personal training sessions have helped me in several ways:
- Having regular accountability sessions to check on my activity and nutrition levels.
- Working with a coach who is understanding and gives clear biomechanical explanations of exercises that I had no idea I had been doing incorrectly all my life.
- Focusing on learning new exercises (and relearning old ones) to strengthen areas to protect myself from niggling injuries – my knee pain is now almost entirely non-existent.
- Feeling encouraged to improve with each session and changing up a routine to make it more interesting, with individual workouts to try on non-PT days.
- Noticeable improvement in body fat, strength and endurance and, more importantly, my enjoyment of going to the gym.
- Selfless demonstration of a terrible haircut to ensure I know exactly what not to get.”
Ready to get started?
Get a free session as well as a full assessment
"*" indicates required fields